Priorities : When We Stand Together


      Get you priorities straight!! Have you ever heard that one before?? Well I have, and it rings through my scattered brain every Friday without fail.   Every time Friday rolls around, I get to revisit where my priorities lie.  I personally hate Fridays.  It is payday, and it is also the day when I have to sit down and figure out to the last penny what will be paid, and what won’t.  There used to be a day when we went and got what we wanted and then paid bills with what was left.  Sadly those days are gone.  Somewhere along the line we became more responsible and kissed the days of living la vita loca goodbye.  Bottom line, every decision I make is made with my husband’s input.  I may do the math and the organization, but I give him final approval even offering several different scenarios. 


       When figuring out where the money is going to go,  I have to prioritize what is the most important for that week, and what to let slide.  For example, you absolutely have to have a place to live.  So the house payment trumps just about everything else.   The vehicle payment must be paid because you need a mode of transportation.  It is a good idea to keep the utilities paid  because truly at 34 degrees or lower, who wants to be without heat?? Not I said the frog.  My truck driving husband thinks his cell phone bill should trump all because he is on the road and needs it desperately.  Actually, I get the necessity of having a cell phone however, T mobile charges one unG0dly amount each month for the privilege of having coverage nationwide, and unlimited everything.  His list of priorities definitely differ from mine on that score.  While I am rooting for internet, internet, internet so I can update my website, he is moaning cell phone, cell phone, cell phone.  When it gets down to it you have to prioritize to ensure you have shelter, warmth, and food for your belly.  Anything else is comes after that.


   


         At the end of the day I eventually get it all figured out.  If this was a perfect world I would be able to tell you that there is enough money for everything and that everything is paid up to date.  Unfortunately, that is just not how life works.  I will say that by the time I have decided on a course of action, I stick to it to the letter and usually feel good about what I was able to accomplish.


        If you are looking for what my priorities are in general, my kids and husband are number 1.  They come first in all instances.  Once everyone else has been taken care of, the bills that are going to be paid are paid, and everyone has what they need…then and only then do I worry about me.  
       
       I will say there are exceptions to that rule too.  For example, when “Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2” was released on DVD, you can bet I had my happy a$$ at the store picking up my copy as soon as the doors on my son’s bus had closed and the bus was on its way down the road.  What can I say?  I do have my weaknesses.  When it comes to money, every now and  then I simply can’t resist a small indulgence.  That was one of the rare times I told my husband what I was doing instead of asking his opinion.  On the most part we are aligned in our priorities and I think that is why our marriage works.  When we stand together, we can accomplish anything.  Until next time when I give you another glimpse into the life of a trucker’s wife.   

No comments:

Post a Comment