Getting By With My Online Friends

    Online friends make my world go around. Who would have thought??  While I was in school or  working, I had a whole host of acquaintances that put on the mask of friendship while I was in close proximity.  As soon as I moved on, graduated, or quit my job…Boom!  Those so called friends were gone like a fart in the wind.   Some might say hello if they seen you in public, still the rest would most likely cross the street and avoid your existence.    Life is constantly changing and people move through our lives at a steady rate.  Few stick around for very long.  They serve their purpose, and then on they go.

        Over the past two years of active blogging I have come across the nicest people and only a couple honest to goodness nut jobs.  Amazing considering we are advised to warn our kids to be wary about making online acquaintances because they are all disguised as child molesters, rapists, and murderers.  There is a very good reason why sites like Face Book have age limits.  The problem is, most people ignore them and get on Face Book anyways putting in bogus birthdates so they can play the games or mingle.   For some reason parents have a false sense of security about  face book no matter how many law enforcement and school officials warn against it.

        Back in the day it was the in thing to sit on the telephone for hours.  Now it is more acceptable to sit on a computer communicating by instant message or texting from a cell phone.  Does anyone really interact in person anymore??  I don’t,  except for the occasions that my husband is actually home.   I interact with him because he is my best friend and I married him.  Hate to state the obvious but I interact with my kids because they are my kids.    Good moms are supposed to do that.  Beyond that I have a direct connection to the rest of the  world through the world wide web.


       Upon thinking about this week’s topic, I realized something.  I consider some of my best friends to be the people I interact with online and have never officially met.  They come from all corners of the globe and are very much apart of my everyday life.  They read my blogs.  I read theirs.  We chit chat on Face Book.  We are united in our need to share our writing or photography with the world and with each other and in the process become friends.  Oh yeah, and there is always that underlying desire to make a little do-re-me, and some of us share the never ending pursuit for that  and even the almighty illustrious Google page rank.  We help each other, support each other, leave comments, and give advice.  We even learn new skills from some of the more tech savvy folks we find online.

      Most days I rarely leave my home.    Am I lonely?  Not really.  I have still mingled with folks states and continents away.  They are my friends.  True there are some people on my face book that are mere acquaintances.  Like other people, I gather friends on face book like trick-or-treaters gather candy on Halloween. Why?,  so I can promote my blog, plain and simple.  


       Regardless of how friendly people are on Face Book, most still are the next best thing to strangers.  Still, I am happy to have my group of strangers because they have become some of the best friends I have ever had and they help me get through the ups and downs of everyday life.   Until next time when I give you another glimpse into the life of a trucker’s wife.

No comments:

Post a Comment