Thrills and Chills: Could it be Satan??


      In the spirit of Halloween, an experience from my past came to mind that provided me with more thrills and chills than I could have bargained for.   Shortly after I first met my husband we went to our neighborhood Kmart to wander the store and see what was new.  Since we are both big kids at heart we were drawn to the game aisle and soon found ourselves eyeballing a Ouija board.  Although I had tried using a Ouija board before with my mom, my future husband never had and was soon eager to buy it and rush it to my house to give it a try.


       We sat side by side on the living room couch balancing the Ouija board between us on our laps.  We carefully placed our fingertips on the included plastic indicator.  Nervously we giggled as we decided what we would ask the talking board first.  We had both lost loved ones who we had been extremely close to and I think we both desperately wanted to make contact with each of them.  Not surprising then that the first question posed to the mystical board was “Is there anyone who would like to speak to us?”  After a brief hesitation the plastic indicator began to slowly move towards “yes”.  


         We held our breaths and asked the next obvious question: “who?” and the plastic indicator went wild and began to swirl across the surface stopping  at each letter in quick succession.  We read the letters out loud as they were revealed.  S - A - T-  A- N.   As the indicator finished the word it shot off the board right under our finger tips.  At the precise moment that our brains registered that the devil himself wanted to make our acquaintance a brisk wind blew through the living room.  From another room of the house,  my Persian cat Alicia May howled, screeched, and then raced down the center of the living room to the kitchen as if the devil himself was chasing her.  Pieces of paper flew in her wake.




 Satan!!! Holy hell!  We freaked out!  The Ouija board crashed to the floor as we jumped up scared $hitle$$.  The fact that Satan wanted to have a cozy chat with us scared the living be Je$us out of us.  The instant gut reaction was to get that crazy board out of the house NOW.   We rushed outside the back door grabbing a box of matches as we raced to the burning barrel which sat unsuspecting by a huge tree that bordered the property.  My dad had recently had the barrel dumped and as we threw the board, indicator, and box into the barrel we realized that the barrel was completely empty except for what we had just added.   My better half lit a match and threw it in the barrel.  We fully expected for the contents to burn slowly, so when flames immediately shot up into the tree tops burning hot and bright…we freaked out just a little more.   What in G0d’s name would cause the fire to burn so hot and so high?  Could it be Satan??  We fled to the safety of the house and watched the fire mesmerized as the flames shot from the barrel to the sky.


          After a short while the fire stopped as suddenly as it started and we went back out to the barrel to peer inside.  Every trace of the Ouija board was gone !   I am not sure what we expected when we bought that Ouija board, but I guarantee we got more than we bargained for.  That one incident made a believer out of me that a Ouija board was nothing to mess with and I have never attempted to again.  I learned from that experience to allow fate to take its course and once folks are dead it is best to let them  rest in peace.   If you go looking for the devil, you will surely find him.  Until next time when I give you another glimpse into the life of a trucker’s wife.

No comments:

Post a Comment