Remembering the Tomatoes -BFF 132

     I can imagine my mom was as animated and full of fun when she was a little girl as she was later when she had grown up.  This picture always used to sit on the dresser of the upstairs bedroom of my Grandma's house and I was always fascinated with it.

     Often my Grandma told stories about some of my mother's antics when she was a little girl.  Whenever she didn't get her way, instead of crying and throwing a fit, she would smile and say "Well, maybe tomorrow I can!"

      In those days during World War 2, you didn't waste food under any circumstance.  You were expected to try everything, and if you put something on your plate, you had better plan on eating all of it.  The good L0rd was kind enough to bless you with food and you were reminded to be thankful.


      One story from my mother's childhood comes to mind when I look at the little girl in this picture.  One evening, the family had gathered around the table for the meal.  After saying prayers, the dishes were passed.  My mother was convinced she absolutely HATED tomatoes, even though she could never remember trying them in the past.  When the plate of tomatoes were passed to her she made a big production of taking several of the slices as her family looked on.  To everyone's surprise she then requested the dish of heavy whipping cream and proceeded to top those tomatoes with a generous helping.  Her Grandpa made a point of reminding little Edith that she needed to eat every single bite of those tomatoes knowing full well she had most likely ruined them with the whipping cream.  Everyone was silent as my mom geared up to take a bite.  As you can imagine, she discovered on that day that she liked tomatoes but they were a lot better without the whipping cream.  That night she ate every single bit, just as she was required washing it down with water and milk.

        After that day, my mom loved tomatoes as G0d intended raw and straight off the vine, or cooked in stews and sauces.  She never made the mistake again to top them with whipping cream, prefering instead a pince of salt or Italian dressing if in a salad.

        My mom often told this story when I was faced with an unfamiliar food on my plate.  Her best advice was to just try it and get it over with, then if it needed any doctoring up, then so be it!! My kids have also been regaled with the tales of the precocious little girl who grew up in the 1940's and 1950's so they can better understand what a fun loving person their Grandma was.  I am so thankful I have this picture of her and I will cherish it always!  It helps me remember, and keeps her spirit alive.  Until next time when I give  you a glimpse into the life of a trucker's wife.

No comments:

Post a Comment